Victims of sexual assault face immense and often overwhelming physical and emotional costs as a result of someone else’s abhorrent actions. Through no fault of their own, victims are left dealing with the physical and emotional aftermath—often without the crucial support they need.
At Breit Cantor Grana Buckner, we handle civil cases of sexual assault, rape, or sexual harassment arising in the workplace, from criminal acts, or in other settings. Our highly-reputable attorneys are discreet, compassionate, and driven to pursue the justice our clients deserve. We believe in taking a stand for the victims of sexual abuse, and we have the experience and resources necessary to fight for you and win. If you or someone you love has been harmed as a result of sexual assault, you don’t have to face the aftermath on your own.
Speak with a Virginia sexual assault injury lawyer from our team about your options today: (888) 635-9500.
Who Is Liable for Sexual Assault?
While it may seem obvious that the perpetrator(s) of the sexual abuse, assault, or harassment is responsible for damages the victim has suffered, this person may not be the only liable party in the eyes of the law. In certain premises liability cases, the owner or manager of a property can be liable for harmful incidents, including assaults, that take place on the property. This is most often known as “negligent security,” in which the property owner fails to employ adequate security or conduct a proper background check to prevent assaults, though this is not the only type of case in which the property owner may be liable.
It is often necessary to bring legal action against not only the assailant but also against third parties who may also be responsible for the assault due to premises liability, such as:
- Nursing homes
- Apartment complexes
- Transportation companies
At Breit Cantor Grana Buckner, we have access to medical and psychological experts who can provide significant support to a victimized person while also serving in a support role during litigation. We understand that what you have gone through has likely affected every aspect of your life; as such, we provide compassionate and personalized legal services tailored to your unique situation. We strive to help you realize your power and serve as your voice in obtaining justice.
A Few of Our Winning Case Results
We have obtained a number of significant results through jury verdicts and settlement:
- Represented a patient who was sexually assaulted in a hospital ward by a male hospital attendant during her inpatient stay. The attendant had a criminal history before hiring and there were allegations of improper sexual touching prior to the rape. The case involved allegations of negligence, negligent retention, and a significant issue of respondent superior. The case was settled for $1,125,000.
- Represented a plaintiff who was sexually assaulted by a restaurant employee in the restaurant. The employee had been acquitted of the criminal charges that he allegedly had bitten the plaintiff’s breast and exposed himself to her. After a four-day trial, the jury returned a verdict in favor of the plaintiff for $800,000, including $100,000 punitive damages against the employee and $100,000 punitive damages against the store owner.
- Represented an African American mother of two children in a case alleging that she was repeatedly raped by the foreman of her crew on the plant floor. The rapes occurred on the workplace premises over a four-month period during which the plaintiff did not report the activities. She ultimately reported the activities to her supervisors and subsequently filed suit for assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent retention, and punitive damages. At mediation, the case was settled for $200,000.
- Represented plaintiff who was sexually assaulted as a child. Case was settled for $1,250,000.
- Represented a young female tenant of an apartment complex who was sexually assaulted by a maintenance worker employed by the defendants. The case was settled for $3 million prior to trial.
Learn more about your legal options: Call a Virginia sexual assault injury lawyer at Breit Cantor Grana Buckner today. We have offices located in Richmond and Virginia Beach and proudly serve clients throughout the state.
Contact us online or call (888) 635-9500 to speak to a member of our legal team.