Most Common Sources of Car Accident Fatalities in Virginia
Developments in Virginia Car Accident Statistics
The most recent roadway accident statistics from Virginia’s Department of Motor Vehicles suggest that Virginia’s roads are becoming increasingly more dangerous. The latest DMV report shows a number of surprising advances, including:
- 10.8% increase in roadway fatalities
- 48.6% increase in motorcycle fatalities
- 30% increase in bicycle fatalities
There also appear to be a handful of concerning trends regarding fatal accidents:
- Interstate vs. Non-Interstate: Interstates and highways are typically viewed as being more dangerous. However, only 14% percent of all roadway fatalities in 2017 occurred on the highway, while 86% of deadly accidents occurred on other roadways.
- Senior Citizens vs. Teenagers: Teenage drivers are often hailed as the most dangerous drivers and the most likely to die due to reckless driving. However, the total number of teenager drivers who died at the wheel was a mere 13% of the number of fatalities involving drivers over the age of 60.
- Reckless Driving vs. Failure to Heed Traffic Signs: Though speeding, texting while driving, and driving while drunk tend to be viewed as the most careless traffic offenses, they didn’t even make it into the top 3 causes of roadway fatalities in Virginia in 2017, which include failure to yield, following too close, and improper lane change.
We Serve Injured Drivers, Passengers, and Pedestrians in Richmond and Throughout Virginia
Our team at Breit Cantor Grana Buckner is available and willing to help if someone you love has been killed in a car accident. In many cases, roadway fatalities are caused by other drivers’ recklessness and unwise driving habits. If your loved one’s deadly traffic accident took place because of another person’s negligence, you may be able to hold that person accountable for the costs you incur as a result of your loved one’s death and the pain and suffering you have experienced.
We handle cases involving car accidents, wrongful death, and other forms of personal injury. With our experience and knowledge on your side, you will have a better chance of recovering the compensation you need and obtaining the just solution you deserve.
Call (888) 635-9500or contact us to schedule your free consultation with a Richmond car accident attorney.